Saturday, October 23, 2004

Dante's Peak

I just saw this movie. I had had it muddled in my mind with Twin Peaks, which I still have never seen, but have grouped in my brain with The X Files, probably as the result of some terrestrial station's programming schedule in the mid 1990s, so I REALLY wasn't sure what to expect. *ahem*

Scriptwriters' meeting: "Go on, think of three more ways you could NEARLY die in a volcano"

As a family movie, all the important characters will survive - except for those marked out at the beginning by their immoral behaviour, obviously (BTW, did anyone else spot whether the bald business man worried about the impact of an alert on the local economy made it? Evil capitalist, you see. I kept expecting to see a shot of him with red hot rocks falling on his head). Even so, there were plenty of sound-track-assisted adrenilin surges.

I like the variant of the classic public kiss ending (they'll *have* to get married now) for a man who clearly has fallen in love with the whole family. But there was one character missing from the final scene. Did anyone else spot whether or not the dog bought it? I worried about that until we got to the disclaimer that "no animal was harmed during the making of this movie" *phew*

No comments: